October 11, 2008

I' ve been there!

San Francisco , California. July, 2008.

Golden Gate Bridge.


"Of course souvenirs can be staggeringly awful. Tacky. Mundane. And they lose much of their charm once they're collecting dust on a shelf. But everyone collects souvenirs, whether they call them or not. They're evidence that we've taken part in the great dance of life - been places, seen things. They're connections between us and something grander and more eternal than we are. And they belong to us. Tourist shooting blurry mobile-phone-camera snapshots of the 'Mona Lisa' or Niagara Falls want to prove they were there, not to have art to hang on their walls.
The camera itself becomes a kind of souvenir machine.
My photography has come to have a sort of sporting aspect.
Can I find just the right souvenir? Can I find the precise location to frame it? I hope to get to 'more great places' soon. That should be fabulous."

No comments: